Sunday Update for the Week of 11/22/20
Good morning, VAAS Families. This is principal Kelly Hanock with a brief update for this week.
First, we wanted to make sure all families know that the LAUSD Grab ‘N Go food distribution centers will be open Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, but will be closed on Thursday and Friday. Families who visit Grab ‘N Go sites on Wednesday, though, will be provided with 9 meals per person.
Next, it is extremely important for everyone to know that LAUSD is currently surveying all families to determine your choice of return-to-school plans should the district be allowed to re-open schools in the Spring Semester. You will be able to select either a virtual, distance learning model like is currently in place or a hybrid-learning model that includes an on-campus learning component.
We will be hosting a VAAS Town Hall on Monday, 11/30, at 9:00 a.m. to share more information with you about these choices and to answer any questions you may have. The link to the ZOOM webinar is:
Our school community would like to wish you a safe, and healthy week off, and we will look forward to seeing you again on Monday, November 30.
Sunday Update for the Week of 11/15/20
Good morning, VAAS Families. This is Principal Kelly Hanock with this week’s important announcements.
First, parents, we encourage you to check Schoology to review your student’s 15-week grades today. Throughout the coming week all teachers will offer the opportunity for students to make up assignments and recover credit in every class or to participate in enrichment activities that include college essay writing, FAFSA workshops, virtual college tours, etc. If your student is behind in any class, it is especially important for them to attend class this week to find out how to make up classwork and improve their grades before final 20-week grades are posted in early December. This will be the last opportunity for students to improve their grades prior to the 20 week report card, so please encourage their participation.
Also, PTSA is hosting a Chipotle Restaurant fundraiser November 18th between the hours of 4:00 – 8:00 pm. You will need to show the flyer which is currently posted on VAAS PTSA Social Media and the VAAS website, thevalleyacademy.net. If you order online, you can use the code TYKCVVB on the flyer to ensure the school receives credit for your purchases.
For those of you who have not been able to have your student COVID 19 tested, we are excited to share that testing for Covid-19 will be expanded to include Saturday testing beginning this November 14, 2020 until December 19, 2020 at various school site locations throughout LDNW.
Reseda HS will host Saturday Testing this Saturday, November 14, and November 21. Lassen Elementary School located in North Hills will also offer testing this Saturday, November 14. Rosa Parks Learning Center will host Saturday Testing on November 21. Monroe High School will host Saturday Testing on Saturday, December 5. Sepulveda MS will host Saturday Testing on December 12 and Parthenia Elementary School will host Saturday Testing on December 19. All testing appointments on Saturdays will be from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. In addition, LDNW will be offering expanded hours of testing on Wednesday November 18, 2020 at the Northridge MS testing site until 6:00 p.m.
We are asking parents to please make an appointment for an initial test now to help us prepare for the opening of school for in-person instruction. Although the date when schools will re-open for in-person instruction is not yet known, taking an initial test now will provide valuable information about the incidence of COVID-19 in the communities we serve and help guide in the planning for the safe re-opening of schools.
You can now schedule an appointment at https://achieve.lausd.net/covidtestingappt.
You will need your child’s student ID number to schedule an appointment. You may obtain your child’s student ID number by accessing the Parent Portal at https://parentportalapp.lausd.net/parentaccess/ or by calling our LAUSD hotline at 213-443-1300. Once you’ve made the appointment, you will receive a confirmation email with details. Please be prepared to show the email on your phone or print out the confirmation and bring it with you to the appointment.
Sunday Update for the Week of 11/8/20
Good morning, VAAS Families. This is Principal Kelly Hanock with this week’s important updates.
First, our School Site Council meeting is scheduled for tomorrow, November 9, at 3:30 pm. The 2020-2021 School Site Council approved School-Home Compact and Parent Involvement Policy are now available. For those of you who are interested, Title I information and resources are available on our school’s website, thevalleyacademy.net, under the Parents tab.
Next, I would like to remind you that our November VAAS Town Hall meeting will be held tomorrow, Monday, November 9, at 9:00 a.m. Our special guests will be LA City Council Member John Lee and Child & Family Guidance Counselor Yvette Canales. The ZOOM Link information for this meeting is:
Topic: VAAS Town Hall
Time: Nov 9, 2020 at 9:00 AM
Join Zoom Meeting:
Meeting ID: 885 6910 7895
Also, our Counseling team would like to remind all 10th grade parents that 10th Grade IGP night will take place on Wednesday, November 18, at 5:30 p.m. We hope you will save the date for this informative meeting about your student’s progress toward graduation.
And finally, if your student is interested in participating in Athletics this year, LAUSD schools have been cleared to host on-campus athletic conditioning. All who would like to participate in this on-campus activity must attend the parent meeting this Friday, November 13, at 4:00 p.m. There are many conditions that must be met before your student can participate, so it is imperative that you attend this meeting to get the details. The ZOOM Link information for this meeting is:
Topic: VAAS On-Campus Athletic Conditioning
Time: Nov. 13, 2020 at 4:00 p.m.
Join Zoom Webinar:
Thank you and have a wonderful week.
Sunday Update for the Week of 11/1/20
Good morning, and welcome to November. Remember, you should have set your clocks back this morning as Daylight Savings time has now ended.
Here are the updates for this week:
- 9th Grade parents – Please review this important video prepared by our VAAS Counseling team to explain the difference between academic credits in Middle School and academic credits in High School. It is so important for your students to pass all their classes this semester so they do not fall behind in their progress toward earning a high school diploma. Here is the link: www.thevalleyacademy.net/apps/video/watch.jsp?v=297923
- Parents – LAUSD’s School Experience Survey window is now open and will close on Friday, December 11th, 2020. You can now access the ONLINE Parent Survey by:
- Going to http://achieve.lausd.net/schoolexperiencesurvey
- Clicking on the appropriate Parent Survey button
- Choosing your child’s school from a drop-down menu to begin the survey.
- Please let us know if you have any questions on how to complete this survey.
- The VAAS VOTE Center remains open through Tuesday, November 3. Today, Sunday, November 1, polls will be open until 7:00 PM. On Monday, November 2, the polls will be open from 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM, and on Tuesday, November 3, (Election Day), the polls will remain open from 7:00 AM – 8:00 PM.
- And finally, we hope you will mark your calendars for our next VAAS Town Hall on Monday, November 9, at 9:00 a.m. Scheduled to present are CA City Councilmember John Lee as well as Child and Family Guidance Counselor Yvette Canales.
As always we hope you remain safe and have a great week. Thank you.
SEE ARCHIVED UPDATES BELOW
- Family Update 10.25.20.pdf
- VAAS Family Update 10.18.20.pdf
- VAAS Family Update 10.11.20.pdf
- VAAS Family Update 10.5.20.pdf
- Parent Letter Re Covid Testing.pdf
- Parent COVID Testing Letter - Spanish.pdf
- VAAS Family Update 9.27.20.pdf
- Family Message 9.20.20.pdf
- VAAS Family Update 9.14.20.pdf
- Sunday Update for the Week of 9-6-20.pdf
- Parent Portal Flyer-English.pdf
- Student Advisory Council Flyer.pdf
- LDNW Virtual Information Booth - Flyer (BOY).pdf